To know more about us and weddings in Italy, click on the name of the service :

Cancellation Policy

Should you cancel your wedding or event we must apply a charge and the later the cancellation the more that charge will be. If you wish to cancel a confirmed booking this must be done in writing by the person in whose name the booking is invoiced. Cancellation takes effect from the date we receive your cancellation that can be executed  through e-mail . Cancellation charge will be calculated as set out in this table  and will be notified to you  within two weeks of cancellation.A notice of cancellation received more than 360 days prior to the event will result in a refund of 50% of your total deposit.A notice of cancellation received more than 180 days prior to the event will result in a refund of 20% of your total deposit.

A non-refundable deposit is requested at the moment of booking. The amount is determined according to the size of the event and services involved.

Wedding Planner Roma  is not responsible for events or situations beyond its direct and effective control. Without limitation the following are factors beyond our direct control: bad weather, heavy traffic, accident, pandemic, labor disputes, strikes, civil disorder, fear of the unknown, or failure of “third party service providers” to perform to client’s satisfaction, and as scheduled on the event.

Our Weddings & Events are memorable experiences in the history, culture, and beauty of Italy. All town halls, villas, palaces and restaurants displayed on this website have been visited personally by our planners and assure a romantic destination wedding or event in Italy.

We invite you to review a sample of the many testimonials that our company has received from our past clients. We strongly believe that we are going to be succefful in fulfilling the client expectations.

Special Event

Did you know we also specialize in other events including:



*Baby showers


*Dinner & Cocktail parties

*Corporate events

Day-Of Wedding Coordinator Pricing

Why hire Anna Maria and her team?

Anna Maria Nardi is one of the most well known wedding planners across Italy. She is trained in the American Bridal Association of Wedding Planners (ABC), a highly recognized wedding industry, where she has taken courses specializing in the foundation for a high level of planning and event coordination. She has over 15 years of experience working and negotiating with suppliers, and of course she has great taste! Anna Maria and her team can help to ensure you’re getting the best prices and getting the best bang for your buck! Anna Maria is extremely meticulous and will guarantee that everyone working for your wedding is a highly trained, credited professional. Her endless connections ensure that you will get the best deals. After all, the couple is her top priority and her team works day and night to make sure all requests are met. The goal is to never take over your wedding, but to keep the wedding under control, in order for you to be happy!

Why hire a wedding planner?

Planning a wedding is extremely stressful!

Did you know that planning a wedding could take more than 250 hours? A wedding planner will be your third, fourth and fifth hand in order to make every aspect of your wedding run smoothly. There are many different parts of the wedding to take into account, including the florist, dress, cutlery, venue, photographer and so much more. Some of these aspects are so minute that they may even be overlooked, but wedding planners are well trained and take every detail into account.

Even though you may have done all of your research, wedding planners have the inside scoop on discounts to help reduce the overall cost. They are also great at negotiating prices so you don’t have to!

Hiring a wedding planner is important in order to make sure that all of the hard work is taken care of ensuring the bride and groom enjoy their special day, without stressing out.

Is it possible to get legally married in Italy?

Absolutely yes!

Often times there are no problems however, it all depends on your country of origin. Rome is by far the best place to celebrate a wedding, especially if you plan on celebrating in one of the 900 Roman churches, including the Vatican City! If you are interested or have questions, reach out to us at info@weddingplannerroma.it.

Weddings that are not celebrated in a Roman Catholic church or in a City Hall are not legally valid. This does not mean that if you cannot marry in either of these places you cannot have a ceremony in Italy.

It is possible to have another type of ceremony, usually the “symbolic ceremony” or “blessing” according to the religious beliefs of the couple. The easiest way to have a civil ceremony is in the country where the couple resides. This option will save you time and money so you will not have to pay for the cost of the civil wedding in Rome  (the cost for this marriage license is about € 1600). The second option is to arrive in Italy a few days before your wedding and get married at City Hall. The now legally married couple will celebrate both a religious and civil ceremony in the location they desire. Also, LBGT+ couples are welcome to celebrate the civil ceremony.

The “symbolic ceremony” is the option for those who do not want a religious wedding but love the atmosphere of it. Just remember that this ceremony does not technically have  legal validation.

Is it possible to stay on a budget when planning a destination wedding?

Of course! There are many aspects to take into account when it comes to estimating the price of a wedding. If you long for a destination wedding do not feel like money will hold you back. There are many different ways in order to meet your budget. Also, if you are an American couple and are interested in financial support for your wedding, go to the home page of our website and click on the Loans tabs. Here you will find information about inquiring a loan for your wedding.

Can LBGT+ couples get married in Italy?

Of course! We take great pride in saying that since May 2016 same sex weddings, legal civil weddings, and unions are now legal in Italy! We are very excited about this great achievement and look forward to making more dreams come true in Italy.

I am looking for a very specific venue that I cannot seems to find on your website. Are there any unlisted locations?

Italy is home to many interesting and unique locations, especially for weddings. Even though there are many venues posted on our site, there are also hundreds of others that we love as well. We simply just cannot post them all! Contact Anna Maria and our team and tell us the specific kind of venue you are looking for. We are more than happy to present you with more spectacular venue options.

Can Anna Maria be hired for only specific aspects of a wedding?

Yes of course! Anna Maria and the team can be hired for the most simple aspect to the most complex parts of your wedding. Having her and her team for every part of your wedding is recommended as we love to get to know our clients on a deeper level, but having her as a Day-of Wedding Planner is also a great option. You can find our service options listed at the bottom of the FAQ.

How much does a Wedding in Italy cost?

There is no set price for all Italian weddings.

The cost depends primarily on the date of the wedding, the chosen venue and the amount of guests attending. Along with these aspects are also many small details that can fluctuate the price of a wedding as well. There are many beautiful options for every couple including a wide range of venues and locations. We know where the best venues are and are more than happy to ensure you get the best price. Whatever your budget, Anna Maria and her team will make sure you have the wedding of your dreams while remaining in your budget.



Independently from your nationality, in order to get legally married in Italy you should be able to provide the following documents.

Please note that the paperwork requirements expire after 3 months if you have not yet married:

  • Passports
  • Certificate of No Impediment
  • Nihil Obstat

It is fundamental that your full name is written in the same manner in all the above documents (this can happen if you have more surnames and they are not always expressly listed in all documents or if the future bride has already been married before and is still keeping the name of her ex-husband. In this case please be sure that your passport, Certificate of No impediment and Nulla Osta contains your maiden name), otherwise your paperwork won’ t be accepted by the wedding officials.

Depending on your nationality, the procedure to follow will differ from country to country for a legally binding ceremony. We have years of experience in assisting our couples from all over the world obtain the correct documentation needed to perform a legally binding ceremony here in Italy. We will guide you step by step through the process.


For a Catholic wedding the following documents are required:

  • Certificate of Baptism
  • First Communion
  • Confirmation

all to be stamped by the local Bishop’s office. If your local Parish is not able to provide you the originals, ask for some copies that have necessary to be sealed by your local Bishop.

  • Declaration (formal letter)

from your Priest/Pastoral Advisor which could state that both bride and the groom are active in the Catholic Church and that they intend seriously to have a religious blessing in Italy (specify the name of the church you selected in Italy and your wedding date). This letter represents a permission released by you Priest and required by the Italian Curia which testify that your local Priest knows you and allows your wedding in Italy.

Being an official and formal letter, it has to be written in the letterhead paper of your Parish. The letter has also to state that you have fulfilled all the Pre Cana Classes. Certificate of the Pre Martial classes (if a certificate was done) should be included.

  • Nihil Obstat

Letter from the Bishop of your Parish (written on letterhead of your Bishop’s office) This is one of the most important documents required by the Italian religious Authorities.

This letter must specify that you have No Impediment to get married in the Italian Church you selected (specify the name) at the date requested. This letter certifies that the religious authorities over your local priest have approved your wedding in Italy.

  • Original Prenuptial Enquiry Form

issued by the archdiocese of your city (the Italian Curia must have a proof that your wedding has been approved by the higher member of the Catholic Church in your country).

This document has to be issued by your Parish (written on a formal letterhead). It has to be signed and stamped with the Church seals by your local Bishop’s office (not by your Priest).

The Prenuptial Enquiry Form is a prenuptial investigation which includes your personal details and some general religious data. This questionnaire has to be filled with you together with your Priest.


In case your civil ceremony was performed prior the religious ceremony you should show the original civil documents (the civil wedding certificate which states that you are legally married) to the Italian priest. Note that The civil wedding certificate never expires.

If you wish to have a religious ceremony legally recognized by the Italian authorities you should be able to provide the civil paperwork requested.


If one of the Parties has been divorced, the Italian Catholic Church won’t allow you to re-marry in a Church, unless the Rota (the only Institution legally able to officially annull marriages) had previously annulled your wedding.

In case the couple has been previously civilly divorced and want to get married again in the Church it is required a civil reconciliation certificate.


If one of you are not Catholic you are allowed to get married but you should provide this additional document which testify that your wedding can be performed by the Italian religious authorities.

This certificate is usually issued by the local bishop of your country, but I would suggest to ask for information to your local Priest who will easily help you to obtain this document. The ‘Permission of mixed religion’ has to be sealed or stamped by the Bishop’s Parish office.


Most of the Italian Churches will directly translate your documents but if you select an area where they do not offer this service I will provide it for an additional fee.


Documents should not be done more than 3 months in advance or they expire. (except for the certificate of baptism, holy communion and confirmation, issued when you received these sacraments).

Therefore you have plenty of time to obtain these documents as they can not be received any earlier than six months before the wedding and usually by two months before. Please note that at least 2 months is the minimum requested from the Italian religious Authorities to review and approve the paperwork.

At this time you should send all the originals directly to the Italian Curia, so they can proceed with the preparation of documents.

In order to complete the Catholic marriage requirements it is fundamental to provide the originals documents. If time does not permit, it is possible for you to bring the originals with you and show the originals during the meeting I will organize with the Priest (usually 1 or 2 days before the wedding, according to the Priest’s availability). However, I do not recommend using this option unless absolutely necessary, as it is not normally a valid option.

Keep the original documents with you, do not send these here in Italy before receiving the Italian Religious Authorities approval based on the copies you send us.

The above are some general religious procedures which can vary from one diocese to another and therefore must be verified in each individual case: being constantly in contact and updated with all the churches all over Italy we can consequently guarantee you a professional assistance.

All the copies if these documents should be sent to us via scan via email.

It is necessary to receive copies of all of these documents to verify with the Italian Church that they are complete and correct.

Please send all the original documents to us or to Italy by DHL or FEDEX (always save the tracking number). Please never use the normal postal service.

NOTE: The Italian priest or Curia has final say on granting official permission for the catholic ceremony to move forward after checking the paperwork, therefore the agency does not have authority over religious regulations.

Atto Notorio

Atto Notorio is only required for US and Australian Citizens.

An Atto Notorio (Sworn Affidavit) is an affidavit to be done prior the wedding in an Italian Consulatesin Australia or in the US.

In order to get your Atto Notorio you must do a declaration relative to the civil status in front of the Italian Consulate with two witnesses (provided by you) and book an appointment with the nearest Italian Consulate to where you live.

You can also opt to do your Atto Notorio in Italy. We will be happy to book an appointment for you.

In case you would opt to do your Atto Notorio in Italy we will also provide you the witnesses and we will handle all legalities, appointments and interpreter.

In order to get your Atto Notorio you should be able to provide the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate (it has to be translated into Italian and apostilled)
  • Divorce decree or death certificate (If previously divorced/widowed) they also have to be translated and apostilled.
  • Italian translations of all of the above

Please note that at the top of the page of the Atto Notorio the detail ” Repubblica Italiana” and “Consolato Generale D’Italia” are specifically written, otherwise the Atto Notorio is not valid.

Translations have to be authenticated by the Italian Consulate.


What does it mean to apostille?

  1. The Hague Apostille(or simply called endorsement, also in French: apostille:means certify, authenticate or complete.)Aims to simplify the legalization of documents to verify their authenticity, in order to be valid internationally, making unnecessary diplomatic or consular legalization or other certifications.Apr 27, 2012   Notarial and Authentication (Apostille) … Apostilles authenticate the seals and signatures of officials on public documents such as birth certificates, notarial , court orders, or any other document issued by a public authority, so that they can be recognized in foreign countries that are parties to the Convention.


With effect from 1st March 2013, the procedures for British nationals, resident in the UK, planning to marry in Italy are as follows;

You cannot start the documentation process more than 6 months before your wedding date, or 3 monthsif you are resident in Scotland.

There are 4 simple steps that each British national, resident in the UK, must follow to get the right paperwork for marrying in Italy.



You need to obtain what’s called a Certificate of No Impediment, which is issued in the UK. To do this you must give notice of marriage to your local registry office.

After your notice has been posted for the required period you will be issued with a ‘Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage’, signed and dated by your local Registrar. It is essential that the names you give to the Registrar, which will appear on your Certificates of No Impediment, are exactly the same as written in your passports. For example, Jim Harris on the Certificate, and James Harris-Ford on your passport might mean that the Italian authorities will reject your paperwork and refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead. Please take your passport with you to the Registry Office, just to be absolutely certain.



While you are waiting for your Certificate of No Impediment you should make a statutory declaration before a solicitor or public notary in the UK (based on our company’s experience with other clients it would be better to go through a solicitor which are normally cheaper). We can send the declaration form that will be required to you via email.

The declaration is required by the Italian authorities and gives additional information that isn’t detailed on your Certificate of No Impediment. The solicitor or public notary will charge a fee for this service. Fees will vary so it might be worth shopping around.




When you have your Certificate of No Impediment and you have made your Statutory Declaration, you need to send them both to the FCO Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes for each to be legalised with a Hague Apostille.

The Legalisation Office will charge for this – please check the current charges and procedure on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Website.




Once both these documents have been legalised, you will then need to have the legalised Certificate of No Impediment translated. As it will become an Italian legal document it should be translated by a translator based in Italy and sworn before the Italian courts or an Italian Justice of the Peace. We can provide you with a list of recommended translators. A fee will be charged – fees vary depending on the translator. They will also charge a delivery fee to have the translation couriered back to you or to our local office (since we will be in charge to lodge the paperwork on your behalf).

The Statutory Declaration does not need to be translated since it is already in both languages.

Each British national resident in the UK should have eventually have;

Certificate of No Impediment – issued in the UK, legalised in the UK and then translated officially in Italy. A bilingual Statutory Declaration legalised in the UK. A UK Passport.

Once all of these documents have been prepared, they should be sent directly to us which we will then send to the town hall where you will get married.

There is no longer any requirement for wedding documentation for British Nationals resident in the UK to be sent to any British Consular Section in Italy for further processing.

Please note, under Italian law, a woman who has been divorced or widowed and wishes to re-marry in Italy cannot do so until 300 days have passed from the date of her divorce/death of husband. It is possible, however, to apply for a dispensation to this through the Civil Law Courts (Tribunale Civile).

Finally please note that your Certificate of No Impediment will be valid for six months from the date on your English, Welsh or Northern Irish CNI or three months if presenting a Scottish CNI.

There is also a handy video which gives clear instructions for your customers on how to proceed with getting a CNI in the UK for their marriage in Italy.


US citizens planning to marry in Italy must present certain documents and comply with specific requirements of Italian law in order to obtain a marriage license.

The documents required and the procedures to follow are described below. The following list of documents is given as an indication only. The applicable law on marriages is one and the same all over Italy, but City Halls may interpret it in slightly different ways. Therefore in case you would need to provide an additional document, your wedding planner will be in charge to advise you.



  • US Passport

Make sure you travel with a Valid US passport (members of US Armed Forces can present their ID card, along with a permission to marry issued by their Commanding officer).

  • Birth Certificate

The original Birth Certificate, with Apostille and translated into Italian should show the names of both parents. Send the original birth certificate to the appropriate office to be authenticated for use inItaly. If born in the United States, you must send the original birth certificate to the office of the Secretary of State of the state in which you were born to receive an “Apostille” stamp, which authenticates official documents for use in Italy.

  • Evidence of termination of any marriage (e.g. final divorce decree, annulment decree or death certificate of former spouse)

The certificate of termination of any previous marriage has to be translated and with the Apostilleseal. If you will be married in the Roman Catholic Church, bring baptismal and confirmation certificates.

If you were married before, bring evidence of termination of the previous marriage, and if you are under age 18, a sworn statement by parents or legal guardian(s).

If however any previous divorce, annulment or death has been recorded properly on the Atto Notoriothen these documents are no longer necessary.

Any previous marriage of the bride must have been dissolved at least 300 days before the date of the proposed marriage: a woman whose previous marriage was terminated within the last 300 days must obtain a waiver from the Procura della Repubblica presso il Tribunale (District Attorney’s office) at the Palazzo di Giustizia (Courthouse), in the city where the new marriage will be performed. Such waiver is issued upon presentation of medical evidence that the applicant is not pregnant.



Note: All documents originating out of Italy (birth certificate, divorce decree, etc.) must be translated into Italian and authenticated by the nearest Italian Consulate having jurisdiction over the place of issuance in the U.S. before they can have any legal validity before Italian authorities.

Both the original documents and the translations must be legalized for use in Italy, with the so-called “Apostille” stamp, in accordance with The Hague Convention on the legalization of foreign public documents.

In the US, the “Apostille” stamp is placed by the Secretary of State in the State where the document was issued. Call the nearest Italian Consulate in the United States, or wherever you may be outside of Italy, to get details on proper methods of translating documents.

  • Atto Notorio

Before leaving the United States to get married in Italy, it is advisable to obtain an Atto Notorio from the Italian Consulate closest to your current residence.

This is a declaration, in addition to the sworn statement, stating that according to the laws to which the citizen is subject in the United States there is no obstacle to his/her marriage. This declaration is to be sworn to by two witnesses (a witness may be of any nationality, but must be over 18, with current photo ID), before an Italian Consul outside Italy or, in Italy, before a Court official in the city where the marriage is to take place.

If you decide to request the Atto Notorio in Italy you must advise the wedding planner in advance in order to be able to schedule an appointment with the Court since some Courts may have long waiting lists for this service.

The Atto Notorio can be executed at any Tribunale Ordinario in Italy. It requires many revenue stamps (marche da bollo), two witnesses over 18 years of age and an interpreter. You, the witnesses, and the interpreter must show proof of recent entry into Italy, i.e. plane ticket or visa, or a Permit to Stay (permesso di soggiorno).



  • Nulla Osta

A declaration (Nulla Osta or Affidavit) is required by Italian law. A Nulla Osta literally states that “there are no impediments,” or that one is free to marry, according to the laws of the State of which the citizen is a resident.

Your legal status must be such that you can legally marry under Italian and US law. To obtain a Nulla Osta you should visit the Consular Section nearest your wedding destination. The Nulla Osta is valid for six months and costs approximately 50 euros per person.

You can download the appropriate Nulla Osta form ahead of time in order to save time. If so, please fill it in but do not sign it ahead of time as it will have to be signed in front of the Consul.



Note: Once issued, this affidavit must be stamped by the Legalization Office of any Prefettura in our Consular District (there is one in every province capital).Your wedding planner beside the assistance during your Nulla Osta will also help to legalize your documents for you. Each ‘Nulla Osta’ requires a revenue stamp of Euro 16. Please note that depending on your wedding location, it may be essential that you also attend this appointment.

  • Declaration of Intention

All the above documents have to be presented to the Wedding Hall in the city where the marriage will be performed, where usually it is required a “Declaration of Intention to Marry” before an Ufficiale di Stato Civile (Civil Registrar).

Usually the Declaration takes place 2 or 3 days prior the wedding. Banns are posted only after the Declaration of Intention to Marry has been filed.



Civil Banns must be posted at the Town Hall for two consecutive weeks including two Sundays before the marriage can take place. However, banns are automatically waived if neither party to the marriage is an Italian citizen or a resident of Italy.

civil ceremony is performed by the Mayor or one of his deputies. At this time you will need two witnesses and one interpreter to translate your ceremony from Italian into English.


Civil and Religious Ceremony

If a religious ceremony is to be performed by a Catholic priest, a separate civil ceremony will not be needed, as the priest will register the marriage with the civil authorities.

The Roman Catholic Church requires documentation besides the documents listed above (such as baptismal and confirmation certificates and letters of freedom). For complete information you should check with your wedding planner.

Because of the special Italian requirements applicable to marriages performed by non-Roman Catholic ministers, the latter usually insist on a prior civil ceremony before (not always, can depend on the wedding destination) performing a religious ceremony to ensure the legality of the marriage.


Passport Amendment

After the marriage is performed, the passport of a US citizen wife may be amended to read in her married name. To that effect, she should visit a US Embassy or Consulate with the Civil Certificate of Marriage issued by the Wedding Hall, along with her passport. There is no charge for this service.


Travel to the United States

US citizen does not acquire Italian citizenship through marriage to an Italian. An Italian does not become a US citizen through marriage to a US citizen and therefore he/she must have a visa to stay in the United States for more than 90 days.

US citizen who desires to live in the US with a foreign spouse must file a “Petition for an Alien Relative” with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Once the petition has been approved, INS will transmit the paperwork to the American Consulate in Naples, which will issue an immigrant visa to the foreign spouse. The approval of the petition and the processing of the immigrant visa often takes months.


Document Validity

Under Italian law, all public documents — regardless of their origin — are considered valid for only six months from the date of issue. Americans are therefore advised to make sure that all documents to be submitted to Italian authorities have not been issued more than six months ahead of the marriage.



Before leaving Australia, we strongly recommend that you obtain an Atto Notorio (sworn declaration) from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in Australia in the state where you reside.

Make sure you travel with your Australian passport. If you were married before, bring evidence of the termination of the previous marriage. Please note that a divorced woman who wants to marry again within 300 days of the date of her divorce must contact the local Italian authorities and seek special permission from an Italian magistrate. Otherwise, she must allow the required period of 300 days to elapse.

If you are widowed, you must bring the death certificate of your previous spouse. Certificates can be obtained from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.



In addition to the Atto Notorio, an Australian citizen intending to get married in Italy will need to make a Statutory Declaration (Nulla Osta).

This Statutory Declaration must be signed whether you are single, divorced or widowed and you will do so in the presence of an Australian Consular officer at the Australian Embassy in Rome or Australian Consulate-General in Milan.

Nulla Osta literally states that “there are no impediments,” or that one is free to marry. The Nulla Osta (Statutory Declaration) is valid for six months.

The Nulla Osta must then be legalised by the Uffico Legalizzazioni of the Prefettura. Your personal wedding planner will help organise this appointment, please keep in mind that in certain regions of Italy your presence will be required.

The cost of each revenue stamp (marca da bollo) which costs Euro 16.



If you are unable to obtain an “Atto di notorietà per uso matrimonio” (also known as Atto Notorio) from an Italian Consulate in Australia you may obtain one from the Tribunale Civile in Italy.

The Tribunale Civile requires that you make an appointment in advance before going there for an Atto Notorio therefore you should advise in advance your wedding planner to reserve an appointment for you.

Foreign citizens who wish to obtain an Atto Notorio stating that they are free to marry, must show a “Permesso di Soggiorno” or an entry visa or a ticket which shows recent entry into Italy or into theEuropean Union. The person requesting the Atto Notorio must attend in person together with two adult witnesses.

If either spouse or one of the witnesses does not speak Italian, it is necessary to provide an interpreter, in addition to the two witnesses. The WPR & Event can book this service.

N.B. Neither spouse can act as witness or interpreter.


In order to get married in ItalyIrish citizens must obtain a “Nulla Osta” from the Irish Embassy in Rome.

The nulla osta is issued in Italian and will be 4-month valid.

We arrange for it to be sent to the Italian postal address supplied by the applicant. The marriage abroad information with full information and also fees can be found under Consular Services – the direct link is


Having read through the information, at the foot of the page, the applicant will find an “apply now” option – the application form needs to be completed online and printed off.

Once the various forms have been completed and the accompanying documentation has been prepared, the complete application should be sent to the address supplied on the form, in the country of residence of the couple marrying. The application has to be submitted a minimum of four months before the date of the marriage or civil partnership.


Italian law requires Non Italians wishing to be married in Italy to present a “Nulla Osta” (Certificate of non Impediment) or equivalent documentation.

The Canadian Government does not issue “Nulla Osta“. However, to assist Canadians to meet the Italian requirements, the Canadian Embassy in Rome and the Consulate General in Milan both prepare a declaration containing the relevant information.

To obtain this declaration a Canadian Citizen must first complete and swear an Affidavit to the effect that there is no impediment to the proposed marriage. The affidavit can be sworn in front of a notary public in Canada or a consular official at the Consulate.

If the affidavit is to be made at the Canadian Consulate the applicant should fill out the appropriate form and bring and present the following documents:

  • Valid Canadian passport
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship – Canadian birth certificate or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship.

(If you were born in Québec: Only birth certificates issued on or after January 1, 1994, by “Le Directeur de l’état civil” in the province of Québec are accepted)

  • Complete details of the future spouse (full name, date and place of birth, residence, father’s name and mother’s maiden name)
  • Final divorce decree or death certificate of previous spouse (if divorced or widowed)
  • Parents’ consent (if the person is under marriageable age)

Please note that, a woman whose previous marriage was terminated within the last 300 days had to obtain a waiver from the competent “Procura della Repubblica” in Italy (Court) in order to marry in Italy. The declaration issued by the Embassy or Consulate General must then be presented to the competent “Prefettura Ufficio Legalizzazioni” (provincial authority) to be formally authenticated.

Your wedding planner will take care of the legalization and each ‘Nulla Osta’ requires a revenue stamp of Euro 16. We will assist in picking up the final Nulla Osta for you so you do not have to go to the Canadian Consulate here in Italy.

We can also verify with the Canadian Consulate if the papers are complete and correct to let you obtain the “Canadian declaration- Nulla Osta”  so we ask you to send all the originals to the Canadian Embassy, in Rome or Milan; so they can prepare your document.

This document will then be authenticated by our staff for you at the “Prefettura office– Ufficio Legalizzazioni“. Once the declaration has been obtained and legalized, it is presented to the marriage Office of the Municipality in Italy and therefore Banns are waived.

The Municipal authorities will request the couple to return (usually in 2 or 3 days) with 2 witnessesPLUS an interpreter to execute a Declaration before the “Ufficiale dello Stato Civile” (Registrar of Vital Statistics) of the Municipality. Arrangements are then concluded.

Two witnesses PLUS an interpreter (if necessary) must be present at the civil marriage ceremonyalso.




Roman Catholic Religious Ceremonies

In the case of a religious marriage ceremony to be performed at a Roman Catholic Church, the document issued by the Embassy or the Consulate General, duly legalized by the competent Prefettura, should be presented to the Parish Priest in Italy, in addition to all documents required by the Church.

The Parish Priest shall arrange for the registration of the religious marriage with the competent Italian Vital Statistics authorities. The marriage must be so registered in order to have civil value in Italy.


Consular fees

Consular fees for the applications, both submitted at the Embassy or sent by mail, must be made by non-transferrable bank draft (assegno circolare non trasferibile) payable to the Canadian Embassy. Cash is not accepted. The fees are not refundable.

More Information